Central Arcade History
The Central Arcade was opened with great fanfare on 12 August 1955, the year of the major Hunter River flood, after just nine months of construction. It was built on the site of four former shops for a partnership of three Muswellbrook families. Each of these families occupied at least one shop in the new Central Arcade – jewellery retail, radio and electrical suppliers and service, and a mercers and tailors.
Over the years the Arcade has contained a wide range of retail outlets, including a butcher, hardware, fruit and veg sales, numerous ladies clothing shops, dress materials and accessories, babies wear, dry cleaning, ladies and gents hairdressers, shoe repair, bookshops, second hand clothes sales, a tax agent, minibikes sales, and more.
The upstairs offices have also been used by many familiar names – TAFE, radio 2NM, the Housing Commission, the Soil Conservation Service and even a dentist. Many local businesses have had their start in the Central Arcade.
The Central Arcade is still locally owned. We offer a quiet, welcoming, friendly atmosphere and are keen to emphasise heritage features of the building. Come in and pay us a visit some time!